The Kashmir Council-EU has been set up to respond to concerns on three aspects of the current situation:
- Firstly, the concern over how little coverage this long-running dispute between the nuclear nations receives in the European Media.
- Secondly, the apparent apathy of the international community regarding the risk of nuclear conflict in the region & to the urgent need for meditation if the disputing parties are to be brought to the negotiating table.
- Finally, the concern that the exclusion of Kashmiris from any future peace process will jeopardize the sustainability of any settlement.
Who we are
The Kashmir Council-EU is an independent non-governmental body. We are non-sectarian, reject violence, and seek to collaborate with other organisations which have broadly similar aims. We receive no funding from any political party & rely on the dedication & energy of our staff of volunteers to get things done.
What we do
- Foster a climate of mutual confidence & respect within which negotiations to resolve the Kashmir conflict can proceed with a realistic possibility of success.
- Develop a common agenda for political action by European NGOs to resolve the Kashmir dispute.
- Persuade the International Community that it has a real role to play in securing an effective peace process for Kashmir.
- Secure the repeal of the so-called ‘draconian laws’ which give impunity to human rights abusers.
- Achieve the demilitarization of Kashmir.
- Create opportunities for Kashmiri youth to benefit from European education & training.
- Support independent research & policy development on Kashmir.
How we do it
- Awareness building and advocacy: Through seminars, exchanges of ideas, conferences, exhibitions, meetings, press briefings, protests, demonstrations, walks, rallies & campaigns.
- Research & documentation: Through leaflets, brochures, banners, press releases, news magazines, articles, letters to editors, reports, surveys & – manuals.
- Networking: Through visits, contact-building initiatives, training courses & festivals etc.